Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Rejoicing, Thieves, and Happiness

It was either the day my computer was stolen or the day before that I got out my new pastels and wrote on my wall.  (The privilege of people who live in temporary walls.)


Why that verse? It was kind of random, except that rejoicing has historically been in short supply in my life.

Why that day? Maybe a little humor on God's part...(maybe she needs a head start rejoicing before the computer gets stolen).

Then, just this morning, it appeared again, Philippians 3:1: Rejoice in the Lord.  Here is what Adam Clarke says in his old commentary on this verse: "Be always happy, but let that happiness be such as you derive from the Lord."

Oh! So God knows that we will find happiness in something in life.  He's not telling us to be happy. He's telling us what to be happy about.

So thefts have no impact on the rejoicing that we "derive from the Lord."  Because we weren't rejoicing in our things...

But I still hope the verse this morning isn't preparation for another theft!










3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the reminder! Too often I forget to "rejoice in the Lord always"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't we all....it happened to me just today a few hours after my post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking about the words on your walls ever since I was there the other week. They have blessed me.

    ReplyDelete