Saturday, December 20, 2014

Losing Weight to Build a School....Oh Great.

"I wonder if there's anyone else who ever did something this idiotic?" I asked my aunt, from my position on her carpet, as I stuffed letters into envelopes. 

It all started with the calls and letters from Wisconsin, my family and friends somewhat urgently trying to raise $330,000 for a new school building.

This is the school where I started my teaching career with a six year stint, and where before that, I attended as a student.

I don't really have a lot of spare money.  So what can I do to help, I mused to myself.  What do I have that I don't need?

Ha!  Pounds!  Easy answer.  Hence, the letter as follows.



“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short;
but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.” --Michelangelo

At the risk of great personal peril and painful transparency, I am inviting you to help me as I lose weight in an effort to build a school.

 In my first life as a teacher, I taught at a small Mennonite school in Stratford, Wisconsin.  My younger brother, a champion of solid, creative education from first grade to high school, is now the principal of the school.  The students come from large, hard-working families, many with parents who only went to eighth grade.  In the last few years, the enrollment has mushroomed, requiring a larger school, soon.  Raising the $330,000 by the fall of 2016 is a monumental task for only 20 families.   They are hoping to have a lot of it raised by May of 2015.

In my second life as a nurse, I find myself surrounded by surgeons and cardiologists who frequently bemoan America's obesity.  I have been at least somewhat overweight most of my life, so I have sympathy for our overweight patients.  However I also deeply admire the Dr. Hallorans and Dr. Mehtas of the world, even as I suspect that they have no idea how hard it is to lose weight.   


The collision of these two situations leads me to challenge myself to help build the new school by inviting people to contribute per pound of weight I lose from Christmas to Easter.  If I don’t lose much, your donation will be small; if I lose a lot your donation will be larger!  If you can take this risk, please complete the form below and give it to me. I will return it to you after Easter, with your total donation calculated.    (For your own records:  I am pledging $_____ per pound.)

Thank you!


 Katrina Hoover
 ***************************************************************

        $0.50 per pound  (paint brush?)                      
        $1 per pound        (gallon of paint?)                
        $2 per pound        (chair?)                                             
        $10 per pound      (window?)                                           
        $25 per pound      (bathroom fixtures?)                               
        $40 per pound      (carpet for a room?)             
                   _____ per pound


Would you like a receipt for tax purposes?  Yes____ No____
Make checks payable at that time to Bethany Christian School.

                 _______ (your donation per pound) x ______ (total pounds I lose)=
__________ (total donation to BCS)
 



Back to me on my aunt's carpet.

"Well, it's interesting," she replied to my question.  She insists it's a good idea.

I can't argue with the fact that it's interesting.  And certainly, the next few months will be as well.

"What if I just lose my mind?" I asked.

"Just hope it weighs a lot," my cousin replied.

Thanks, Jordan.  You're a great support.  

Note: If you would like to contribute to the fundraiser, and crank up the pressure on my weight loss, please comment, or email me at khoover500@gmail.com. 

5 comments: