Sunday, November 2, 2014

What I want to be like at 93

I know what I want to be like when I'm 90 years old. 

I don't expect to live that long, but if I do....here's what I want to be like.

"But the gondolas in Australia were a lot worse," an old lady said, after discussing how her husband made fun of her for not wanting to go all the way up the Eiffel Tower.  "Going up was okay, but going down?" she shuddered. 

"I can't lose her," her husband had told me before the surgery. "I've lost too much this year."

He told me of the tragic death of a family member. 

Another elderly husband told me this week, "I don't really enjoy BINGO, but I guess I'll be playing a lot of BINGO this winter." He knew his wife would be recovering for awhile, and unable to go to her evening BINGO games. 

"Get him some cool prizes and he'll enjoy it," I suggested to his wife.

I asked another old lady what brought her into the hospital. She couldn't remember clearly.

"At the age of ninety-something, however old I am, memory is a little fleeting," she informed me, saying the word fleeting with a perfectly sharpened T.  

"Were you an English teacher?" I asked.

"No, but I've been asked that before," she said.  She had been an executive secretary, trying to keep track of important people.

A bit later one of our surgeons told her that the only treatment for her was a giant surgery. 

"Well, at the age of ninety-something, ninety-four, how old am I?"

"Ninety-three," the family interjected.

"Well you're not doing that!" she said, about the giant surgery.

"I'm not yet ready to shuffle off this earthly coil," she admitted. "No one wants to die.  But I have no quality like this."

"You should come play Scrabble with her if you get a moment," her family informed me.  


Moments are rare, but I'm hoping to do just that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment